Sunday, April 6, 2008

My bracket is offically dead

A grey sky that could not decide between pouring rain or a slight misting rain followed us to Knoxville. All five of us were packed tightly in the car, knees touching. Small talk flew between us, no one wanting to talk about what was really on our mind. Death just seems so past thought to most people's mind. Though supposedly, to the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. My mind is obviously not well organized.

Friday was the visitation and celebration of life for Catelyn's dad. A small group of us went to support her and show that we truly deeply cared for her. The line for visitation wrapped several times around the church. A line that included: lawyers, college kids, church members, and so many others. He was great man admired by so many. We stood in line for 45 minutes or so, watching a slide show. Pictures of a man that is no longer here with a family that misses him so much. When we finally reached Catelyn she collapsed into our arms. She looked so tired. It must be so incredibly hard. It was so very hard to see a girl who is just so usually strong and regal so weary and worn. We comforted her the best we could. She says she will be back to school in a week but we suggested that she take as much time as needed. The ceremony was very nice and left all of us girls weeping. Afterwards, we left giving Catelyn one last hug and we attempted some humor, we pretended to laugh. No one was in a real mood to laugh. Our group went and got dinner. The car was eerie silent till we went to pick up another car and split up. The rest of my ride back to CN revolved around our own morality and that of our parents.

I slept in late Saturday when I awoke, I put my running clothes on, I just needed time to think. The trails were muddy and in my old shoes I jumped in every puddle splattering mud all over my legs. When I got to the top of the trail and was able to look over the lake nearby, I realized that I can't control nature. My life is in God's hands and everything happens for a reason. While, I looked over such natural beauty I just prayed. It was one of my better runs.

Spring Formal was Saturday Night and I had a wonderful time. It was everything Prom wasn't. It was nice to be able to dance and have a good time with so little worries. My legs hurt today.

1 comment:

Judi said...

Hey girl, so sorry about your friend's Dad. You and your friends are such good people to go and support her, I am sure she really appreciated that.

I am still unsure if God is in charge or not. Sometimes I think we make our choices in life, sometimes God does.