Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Everybody knows it hurts to grow up but everybody does

One of my friend's father died today please keep the Dakes in your prayers.

It happened so quickly, he was diagnosed perhaps a month ago with cancer, I believe of the spine. Everything seemed to be going so well. Catelyn had skipped the track meet Thursday to be with her dad after surgery, we all knew it was more important then running. The surgery was a sucess and she was back on Friday. Complications arose this weekend and today he is gone. Within a month, he was gone.

I only ever met Catelyn's dad once, and only because I was hiding in their car while we waited out the rain at a Brevard track meet. He was a wonderful person and I could just tell he loved his daughter. He came to every one of Catelyn's track meets, even in college. They were extremely close and my heart goes out to the whole family.

With this event, my mind immediately began to reel. I honestly do not know what I would do if I lost my Dad right now, or well either of my parents. I can not imagine either of them being there. I call my mom almost every other day just to talk and I love her so much. My dad is always there for me, he knows how to encourage me and will give me a reality check when I need one. He constantly tells me how proud me he is. I love my dad. I just can not even fathom life without either. I know there will be some day when they do pass away but I really do not want to even think about it. Your parents are suppose to be in your life and never leave. It is at points like these I do not want to grow up.

2 comments:

Judi said...

I am sorry to hear about your friend's Dad. I hope you don't have to deal with a parent's death for a long long time.

Lexie said...

I have this fear too sometimes, but honestly the natural order of things is that one day we will lose our parents. Your parents have done such a great job raising three beautiful and talented girls, and you know that God is in control of the entire picture.

I am so sorry about your friend's dad.