Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Starting from zero

I have forgotten what it is like to start from zero. It has been way too long since my fitness level has been zero. Even with my injury in the fall, I could still do an 8:00 minuate mile. With this all being said, it is really hard to know what is going through an athlete's head who is starting at zero.

I had my first training session with one of my athletes this monday. She is a soon to be sixth grader who wants to run XC at the middle school next year. I assumed a slow ten minuate run would not be too hard but she had to walk a bit. I'm wanting to build her base and then we will work on speed. I have her doing three runs a week right now and mandatory "play" which is like ulimate frisbee, biking or anything that makes her break a sweat. Though with the 80+ weather one can break a sweat standing outside.

I was trying to think back to middle school when I had no fitness level. I do remember walking around the middle school and only running when I saw the coach. It took me 16 mins to run a mile and a half. I can now run two miles close to 13.

I am really hope that I will be able to pass on the joy of running to her.

1 comment:

Judi said...

Sounds good Cara. I had zero fitness about 10 years ago. It sucked.