Monday, March 15, 2010

Tavern Run..

The tavern was crowded and yet no one was drinking. In a few short moments, the large green group of us hoped to be racing. It was pouring outside as if God and the angels had decided to turn a pressure washer on the Earth. I had signed up for the St. Patrick’s Day theme 5k with a hope of a decent time and I could not really pass up a race that offered free beer at the end. It was a miserable day, I had stayed up way too late the night before watching NCAA track ( I am a track junkie, I watched over 14 hours this weekend) on my tiny computer screen and had forgotten about daylight savings time so my I felt a bit tired. Did I mention, it was pouring rain? As usual, I was dressed for a bit warmer weather.

I sat in the bar trying to scope out my competition, there were two women who looked particularly fit. The race director then shuffled us outside. I had learned from my last road race experience to line up in the front. I did next to a female runner that looked a bit like the current cover girl dressed in Nike. I soon realized that yet again looks mean nothing. The race started and I had left Nike girl before the first mile, well I think. There were no mile markers, there was head wind and hard rain so it was hard to judge my effort. I could feel my pace slow, midway through the race and I attempted to pick it up. I had been left in no man’s land with no one behind and the racers in front of me too far ahead. The race director had talked about a turn-around spot that I assumed was midway through but when I reached it and looked down on my watch it read 16:04. I was way off pace. I continued to run into the driving rain and on the hilly course. A large hill stood in my way, so I tucked in and went for it. I was very surprised to come over the hill and having to break tape. I was the first female and I had run a decent time, the turn around had come much later in the race.

The best part was the post race, free food and drink. I was slightly embarrassed to be congratulated. My time was ok (21:36) but that would have placed me midpack in the races I am use to racing. I have such a hard time just taking a compliment. It was the same time I had ran at conference which is a bit uplifting since I am midway through a half program and haven’t done much speedwork. I do not believe I will be racing a mile any time soon.  I was able to bring home a large plaque which I find slightly embarrassing. Hopefully, this summer with a bit more work the old PR of 20:40 will go down, I would love a 19.


As usual, I have no pictures just words.

No comments: