Friday, February 12, 2010

Snow Lessons..

Being a fairly educated person (I almost have the undergrad degree), I figured that I knew the basics of snow. The textbook definition of course is frozen precipitation in the form of white or translucent hexagonal ice crystals that fall in soft, white flakes. Pretty much it is cold and the way to defeat is for it to melt, salt helps the process. After the past few days, my upbringing as a Southerner left me with some new knowledge about this weather phenomenon. 

Lets go back to Tuesday; I knew that with word of the Snow-Apocalypse that I should go to the grocery store. We do this in the Tennessee when we get word of an inch of snow. Besides, I had run out of creamer. The lines were long and the store was having to stock up on milk (I prefer soymilk so I had no problem). It was a scene that I had figured. The smart choice of the day on my part was purchasing a shovel before heading back to the confines of my apartment.

The snow began falling like I had never seen before with visibility very low as I looked out my window. I snuggled up with a cup of hot chocolate and settled for a long winters nap. I got awaken at 11:00 P.M. by my advisor from Carson Newman with editing changes for my Honor thesis (but that is a whole different story). By that time, the snow had cover most everything and the offices were closed.

The snow continued the next day; I have never seen such a constant barrage. I decided to go investigate so not to get cabin fever. My first lesson was learned. Sperries, despite being boat shoes are not made for snow. I quickly turned around after maybe three steps out the door and looked through my closet for my fake Uggs. I was never a fan of these boots mostly because I saw no reason for them in the South. I had seen way too many girls wear them with shorts or short skirts and no tights. I had simply owned a pair for after ice baths.  After walking around for about 20 minutes I realized that I was not going to be able to get out on the roads and the fitness center was completely snowed in. I skipped on the running. The snow finally stopped around 5:00 P.M.

Thursday, I decided to work from home (mostly because of the honors thesis and another late night editing session with my advisor). Around 3:00, I had decided it look warm enough to go on a run. I dressed warmly though only in half tights and went out. Second lesson learned, just because roads are plowed does not mean sidewalks are. I ended steepling snow piles for 30 minutes. I then got this grand idea to run through an old abandoned golf course behind my complex. Lesson three learned-snow is not solid no matter how deep it is. I, being somewhat stupid, decided to go ahead and “run” (more like high knees) through it until I could get to next sidewalk.  Lesson four learned-half tights do not keep your calves warm in the snow.

I decided that I should shovel a bit around my car after my run. It was not easy and after 30 minutes it seemed like I made no dent in the snow. I gave up and figured I would do it in the morning. I woke up and hour early this morning to finish up the job but after an hour I was still not done. I had work in an hour. I gave up and ended walk to work this morning (which ended up being less time then driving?). Lesson six learned, snow does not melt quickly and clearing a car takes a long time.

I am just praying that somehow, that the snow I left clears. I plan on driving to race a 5k tomorrow.

2 comments:

Judi said...

hey cara!! good to see you posting. guess w/ all the snow, you have nothing better to do! :)

Lexie said...

during my first illinois winter i realized how lonnnng it takes to scrape a snowy/icy car down. and i was late to class.