Sunday, June 21, 2009

RC cola and Moonpie

At around 8:00 on Friday night, I sent a text message to a friend of mine “I’ll run moonpie in your place”.  This is when I should have thought my actions through.  The moonpie is a 10 mile race over the hills of bell buckle. It runs like a half marathon. Malorie allowed me to take her place as long as I gave her the shirt. I ended up getting to bed about midnight and leaving the house around 5:00 the next morning.

The race started at 7:00 and as soon as the gun went off, I knew I was going to take this as training run. I rolled the first four miles in around 32:15 and I was comfortable. Then this was when everything began to fall apart by mile five I was at 42:30.  By the time I hit six miles, I was just trying to live.

What I learned at this moment was that I am not mentally stronger. I was not feeling terrible but I thought I should be. I started readjusting goals and I hit the eight mile mark, I want to say in 72.  At this time I realized I only had two miles left and my legs felt fine. I did the last mile in 7:15-7:30. My overall pace was just under nine mins.

If I do this race ever again, I will get over 5 hours asleep and actually train a bit for it. I would love to be able to run it in below 1:20. Why am I smiling
(I have no idea why I am smiling at this moment in time)

1 comment:

Faye said...

Don't worry. I always look like I'm smiling in my race pics, when I'm actually grimacing in pain.